Tuesday 8 July 2014

Don't Have a Cow

When I opened my Facebook page this morning, I saw that there's been some excitement in Warman. Apparently a cow got loose and came into town. From what I read (do not quote me on this, and please correct me if I'm wrong) the police and others tried capturing the cow but it became aggressive and was charging at vehicles and people. So they proceeded to shoot the cow and it unfortunately took many shots before it was killed.

Well. You'd think the world was coming to an end. I couldn't believe all the people that were livid over the situation. They raged on and on about how inhumane it was to shoot the cow and how traumatizing for all the people involved and what about animal rights and so on and so forth. It sounded like some teenagers had witnessed it and I admit, that would be scary and I would not want to see something like that, but people!

Its. A. Cow.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks this whole thing is ridiculous. Cows are for food. They are not pets, they are food. I am an animal lover. I love my dog. I think animals are wonderful and make this life a lot more fun. I also think some animals are delicious. Like cows. And it's not even like we live in a place like New York with a bunch of city slickers. This is a farming community! People here know that cows are for food. I do understand that this was an unorthodox situation but all I could think about was how messed up our priorities are. What about the millions of babies who have been and are being aborted? Who's crying foul over that?

For me, the war on abortion feels personal. Because my babies could have easily been aborted. They could have easily been another statistic instead of here in my arms. Between both my girls, 7 of their half-siblings were aborted. 7! There are not words for how I feel about this. I'm not sure what made their birth mothers choose life for Cassidy and Aviannah, but I will never stop being thankful that they did. It often feels like we're fighting a losing battle and that there's nothing we can do, but I believe that God is bigger then even the biggest problems. I often wonder why He doesn't put a stop to things like abortion and poverty and the orphan crisis, but I trust that His ways are bigger then my ways. In the meantime, I will continue to get worked up about abortion. I will continue to be mad about it and look for ways in which I can be a part of eliminating abortion all together.

I will not get worked up about a cow being shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment