Wednesday 5 March 2014

Thankful

Why is it that I get caught off guard when God answers my prayers with a yes? It's happened time and time again in my life, and yet it usually comes as such a surprise. 

I last blogged about John's accident and how we didn't know what was going to happen with our car. If you follow me on Facebook, you know that it got written off and we didn't get a whole lot of money for it ($4100). Yesterday I spent all morning car shopping online, hoping to find a decent car for close to what we were getting for our Aveo. I was fully expecting that we would have to dip into our precious bring-baby-home fund to pay for a new vehicle. I found a few promising cars that were only a few thousand over what we had. After lunch yesterday John texted me and said he prayed that we would find a car for under $5000. My instant reaction was Yeah Right! We needed a reliable, safe, family car that preferably had low kilometres on it and my morning of searching yielded no results lower then aroud the $7000 mark.

I immediately apologized to God for my lack of faith. I mean, of course He could provide a car for us for under $5000 that would be suitable for our family! But I doubted. After spending some time in prayer, I decided to check Kijiji one more time. I found 3 cars under $5000 that would work for us. 3! They were all there last time I checked too, but somehow I missed them. John came home and we narrowed it down to the top choice. It was a 2005 Ford Focus, selling for $3999 with under 100,000 kms on it. We went and test drove it last night and decided to sleep on it (not literally on it!) John just texted me a half hour ago today and said he just picked it up. We got it for $3700! That means we ended up with $400 in our pockets. That's $400 to put in our baby fund! 

I was not expecting that! That's what I mean by caught off guard.

I'm going to miss our Aveo. It was newer then the Focus and nicer looking. The Focus is about the same size, but right now we have one child so we only need a car to hold one child. It will even hold two children just fine. We don't need a bigger vehicle at this point. All we needed was something to get us from here to there (and before Friday, because that's when we had to return the rental by!) 

After I wrote my previous post about trusting God, I have to admit I found it hard to practice what I just preached. My faith is still a work in progress. I have good days and bad days. God is patient with me, however, and I am learning. Right now I am just plain thankful. Thankful that we found a car. Thankful that our baby fund gets added to and not the other way around. Thankful that God is good all the time, even thought I don't deserve it. Thankful.

(Oh, and our Focus has air-conditioning. Our Aveo did not. For that I am also thankful!)

2 comments:

  1. This is good news! I love when God does that - shows us that He is in control, and almost forces us to trust him over ourselves. You haven't updated recently about the adoption process... anything new there?

    ReplyDelete